Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Indelible

Past midnight. Through the dim lights. We watched on as they incessantly gave you a diagnosis every few minutes. Each one lasted eternity. We're silent, while the smell of drugs hung heavy in the air. Perhaps at that point of time, we all knew. But no one dared mention a word. Because it would be real the minute we say anything. And we were all just deceiving ourselves. Hoping against vacant hope, that what we're thinking of isn't true. We wanted somebody to walk out that corner and reassure us that our fears were unnecessary because you'd be fine. But none did. And we finally had to face what had to come. Too quickly, but not unexpected. We had to make a choice. Let go and spare you the agony, or cling onto every possible way in a bid too desperate to keep you by our side? Amongst us, some were relenting. Finally the tears came. On every single face. As we each walked to your bedside and let you watch us for the last time. You were too tired to speak, while my voice faltered as I attempted to. I held your hand tightly in mine, hoping that you would suddenly be strengthened to pull through this. I knew you could, because you did. But in the end you chose to stop battling. Too weary. You made your decision, and I found it the hardest to respect. But God taught me to see this beauty in letting go. Till today, I never forgot how you chose to finally breathe for the last time when no one was by your side. Alone you came and alone you left. To be with the one who has blessed me with your very presence for more than half of my life. I miss you.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nicely written. I enjoyed the picture you drew with your words.

God speed.

Sara
http://www.momentsofelegance.com

Gladys said...

Thank you :)

Gladys said...

Thank you :)

Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon this... I found myself reading more than I intended too. Good luck

http://thoughtlessink.blogspot.com/

zara helena said...

your writing is beautiful and very similar to my kind of writing :)
My name is zara and I do creative writing, also I love Robert Frost's Stopping by Woods poem too
xx

yumsbyannie said...

PLEASE CHECK OUT MY COOKING BLOG. RECIPES, REVIEWS & MORE! I WANT MY VOLUME OF FOLLOWERS TO GO UP! THANKS :)

http://yumsbyannie.blogspot.com/