Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A Writer's Dream

I'm usually clueless regarding what I'd like to do in the future but I'm certain of two things: 1. I have no passion for teaching. 2. I love writing but that may not be what I would do after all.

Surely I have contemplated options like journalism but whàt I'd like to belíeve is that there are indeed more options that I am unaware of, just like how I always thought my greatest passion was Literature until I discovered Linguistics. According to popular belief, my degree in Linguistics/English would not be able to earn me big bucks.

What gave me a pleasant surprise one day was walking past an article that hung on my dad's wall. I could see that he was proud of it (and me). In retrospect I realized I actually had the honour of experiencing what it means to be a writer while I was still in primary school. I wrote about my heavy heart upon the demise of a tree that had been struck down by the merciless thunderstorm of the night.

The most interesting part in hindsight, is not the content but the article being written in Mandarin. There was no Googletranslate, whose tremendous usefulness has now earned my reliance. I found it pretty hard to believe that I actually was capable of writing an article in Mandarin and have it published thereafter (therefore earning myself five bucks). I vaguely remember trying my best week after week to improve in writing so that my article could get selected. Though most people easily had more than one chosen, I am humbly in awe of this favour I was granted. Maybe I've given up on mastering a language, but I realized, I've never given up on writing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

not only your dad, im proud of you too my friend!
i like how you look at things in a different perspectives and many more.

Keep writing and i will keep reading!

Gladys said...

NAWWWWWW that's really sweet, thanks Na :)