Saturday, April 25, 2009

Time, a nauseating crawl.

I’m watching as the seconds tick by on the digital screen. Fast. But not fast enough. Eyes lifted up to the screen, hollow. Half-stoning. Mind drifting away. Take a peek at the watch again, two minutes. Restless. The person beside me jots down notes. Earnestly. While the teacher gives her precious comments on the group’s presentation earlier. Comments? Or judgments? Criticism? To spur the students on, or to simply kill time? She takes a quick glance at her watch. Secretly waiting for the lesson to be over, I bet. I shift my eyes back to my notes. Doodle a smiley and spam dots at the side. Not interested at all. Brain is dead. I’m just in my own corner of happy with this scrap of foolscap and the pen in my hand. Thinking. Thinking about….nothing. My thoughts at this point have become too incoherent to be scripted down, one by one. I’m humming my favourite song while I write. While others are actively engaged in the discussion about… about what? Oh yes the comprehension. A man comes in suddenly. Informs us about the honeybees whose homes have been destroyed by yesterday’s storm. He warns us to be quiet and travel in small numbers. I laugh at this unexpected scene with a dreamlike quality. He leaves and I look out the window. Honeybees…dancing in the air. Frantically. In a swirl. Before my thoughts flew with them, the bell rings. End of another school day, hurrah. Bliss.